Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Les Cahiers du Cinema


La Gloire de mon Pere - one of my French favourites

The French cinema magazine, Les Cahiers du Cinema, has listed their top 100 films of all time. Interestingly enough the list does not include any British made films but predominately Spanish, German, Italian, some American and of course many French films.

I like to think of myself as a true film lover so when I read through this list I was embarrassed to realize that I had only watched a handful of them. How long is it going to take me to watch (or re-watch) 100 films? Probably two years or more... Can't wait though, I love a movie as much - if not more- than my magazines. 

To see the complete list click here but for now I am starting with the top 10. 

 

Citizen Kane - Orson Welles

1941 - Flashback interviews that chronicle the life of Kane and reveal the secret meaning of his last word, 'Rosebud'.

 

Night of the Hunter - Charles Laughton

1955 - Harry Powell marries and murders women for their money

 

Rules of the Game (La Règle du jeu) - Jean Renoir

1939 - A look at bourgeois life in France at the beginning of WWII

 

Song of Two Humans (L'Aurore) - Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau

1927 -The story of corruption and redemption in a small German town


L'Atalante - Jean Vigo 

1934 -On board romance and the ups and downs of newlyweds



M - Fritz Lang

1931 - drama/thriller based on the life of a serial killer



Singin' in the Rain - Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly

1952 - musical comedy with wonderful choreography


 

Vertigo - Alfred Hitchcock

1958 - a tale of obsession, love and overcoming fears



 The Children of Paradise (Les Enfants du Paradis) - Marcel Carné

1945 - a tragic tale of ill-fated love


 

The Searchers - John Ford

1956 - Big Western style plot set three years after the end of the Civil war


No comments:

Post a Comment