Tuesday, November 4, 2008

aussie urban chic


for every beach babe in oz, there are as many who are true urban lovers

sydney, my city, is a busy multi cultural metropolis where art, furniture and design play an important part in lifestyle. 'aussie beach chic' is a little more laid back than the urban interiors i have seen but i think there is a similar feel, a familiar thread that runs through both. after many years living in europe, these interiors feel fresh and full of spirit to me


love the simple white walls and the emphasis on aboriginal art  


 hanging paintings is the final touch for a great interior and to my mind the hardest job (forget about getting them straight or making the gaps between them even, what about what goes where?  hanging pictures with most partners is instant discord - it is for me anyway, i always call the handyman - worth every cent!!)


so, here i am with 'one more sleep' until i wing my way back to europe 
it is with such misgivings and sadness that i leave my family and my friends in sydney, but the flip side is that i am super excited to see my children and get home to france - that will help a little to soften the pain

the life of an ex-pat is certainly an emotional roller coaster. i wouldn't change it for anything but it is not without it's heart tearing moments. it is always so confusing being home but not really home - where is home anywhere? is it where you were born and grew up or is it where you choose to live as an adult and create your own family?

for me it is both - i just wish i was 'dorothy' and could click my heels together and bring the new and the old worlds closer together.


 images courtesy of vogue living, australia

No comments:

Post a Comment