Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Why didn't I say something?

Have you ever seen someone in a crowd and thought you knew them? Have you ever been so sure that they were part of the fabric of your life but you just couldn't place how? Have you ever wanted to stop them and confess that you think you know them, but you don't know when or where? Have you ever seen someone from a television programme or a film and thought they were an old friend? 

This happened to me at Marseille airport. 

After some long staring and deep concentration I suddenly knew who he was. I remembered why I recognized him and where he fitted into my life but the ridiculousness of it all was that I was too shy to say hello. I didn't pretend I didn't see him - you know that kind of shuffling behind the pillars or head buried in a book kind of shyness with much hoping and praying that he won't suddenly look your way and nor did I squirm or try and disappear into the stands of duty free cosmetics. 

Why? Because he had no idea who I was and we had never actually met or been introduced. I was in that fortunate position where I knew much about him and he knew nothing about me. I could sneak the occasional glance and eavesdrop ever so casually on his conversation, without fear of being found out. 

I guess you think I am talking about some deliciously young and handsome celebrity but in fact I am talking about Peter Mayle (apologies Mr Mayle -  and you are most certainly a celebrity to me). Peter Mayle is the author of A Year in Provence and Toujours Provence to name just two of the many charming books he has written about life in Provence. His novel, A Good Year, published in 2004 was most recently adapted for the screen by Ridley Scott and starred our Australian naughty boy, Russell Crowe. I have heard many mixed opinions about this movie but I am putty in Scott's hands when it comes to A Good Year. The falling in love with Provence, the luscious vineyards and the glorious hill top villages kind of film where everything is seen through rose coloured glasses. I identify with it all - the characters, the scenery, the way of life and even the scorpions. (the scorpions in Provence are not the same as those in the United States - so don't worry.... sting, yes - deathly,no)

I wanted to meet Mr Mayle and tell how much his A Year in Provence had influenced the course of my life. I read his book soon after the first publication in 1990 and every chapter delighted and enthused me. I knew nothing of Provence in those days and very little about France, but I felt a connection. In 1995 I travelled to France and found myself in Provence where I explored every village he had written about - his book was my version of the foodies' red Michelin Guide.


I drove to Gordes, to Bonnieux and to Lacoste. I went to the market in Apt, walked the streets of Carpentras and explored the limestone peaks of Mont Ventoux, all the time thinking that to live here one day would be a dream come true. I don't know if I ever really believed that one day I would live in Provence but I did know that to dream was part of what made life exciting and challenging. In 1999 my dream came true. 


I wished I had said hello to Mr Mayle and thanked him for his introduction to Provence. I should not have been so shy or so nervous - how silly I was and I am still wondering why I didn't say something. After all, his well crafted, witty and humorous words have a lot to be responsible for.

No comments:

Post a Comment