Tuesday, July 26, 2011

mantles 'under construction'...




One of the hardest challenges for me when it comes to styling are fireplace mantles. First comes the very major and tough decision of what to hang above...it could be a mirror, it could be a painting or it could be an object or even an art instillation. Getting the proportions right is the hardest part and from my experience often what I have imagined in place is either too big or too small. Hanging the object above the fireplace usually requires a complicated fix so it's best to get it right the first time. The walls fade over time, and the points for securing are never the same. ..so the moral of the major hang is measure well...

Now for the styling of the mantle.....it is easier in the sense that nothing is permanent, so changing and improving the look is without drama...that means no fights with the husband or expensive hourly charges from the handyman...but it is where the creative side clicks in and that doesn't come without it's trials. Do you ever find you get stuck in your own style? As much as you want to break free and create a whole new look, after all the moving and re-arranging is over, everything looks the same...That's what happens to me...I have a way of doing things and as much as I want to reinvent 'my look' it is how it is....

I find that creating a balance on top of the mantle is the hardest part. Filling that gap between the mirror or the painting with objects that please, that make sense or a purposeful and that fit can be demanding. I use old books, shells that I have collected, candles, vases and any objects of interest that might work in the space. My go-to when all else fails is flowers...Flowers can be cut to size, cover a multitude and create a warmth and homeliness. Often the addition of one stem can change the whole feel of the vignette and pull it together.

The smaller mantles are easier to dress. Maybe it is because they are not required to pack so much of a punch in a room; rather than being the strong focal point they are an integral part. Right now I am struggling with the large limestone fireplace in our sitting room....everything I place on it looks too small or too tall...but without anything I feel it looks bare. The only time I feel like I 'get' it is at Christmas time when the garlanding of fresh oak leaves and tea candles work perfectly....

What do you use to decorate your mantlepiece with? I need inspiration....xv

my daily click HERE

images - vicki archer

No comments:

Post a Comment