Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Postcards from Le Pont du Gard...For you



After lunch at Mas dou Pastre the other day I stopped by the local depot de vente. This second hand bazaar, on the road to Eygalieres, is nothing more than a big agricultural-style shed filled with bric-a-brac, old clothing, china, glass, paintings and the odd bit of furniture. Like all the brocantes that I have explored, this one is no different and it takes some looking to find real treasure.


I found twelve vintage postcards of Le Pont du Gard, the Roman aqueduct that spans the Gard river just outside the town of Nimes in southern France and I thought you might like them. I received a vintage postcard from Judith last year and I adore it. Her embellished card sits on top of a pile of books on my desk and I often stop what I am doing to have another look at the beautiful sepia coloured photograph. So now I have these little snapshots of Roman history to give you.


To play, please leave me a comment, subscribe via email or follow French Essence so I know that you are there (all it takes is a couple of clicks on the right hand side of the blog) and I will draw twelve names at the end of the week. If you already are a follower or a subscriber you will be automatically entered. We can figure out the details afterwards and then it will be my great pleasure to send the postcards. It is as simple as that, xv.

image - me

No comments:

Post a Comment