Friday, June 25, 2010

do french girls wear kaftans...


They did back in the '1960s' when Andre Courreges and his designs were the toast of the town. Courrege designed a kaftan in velvet that looked to me like it was the kaftan of kaftans - deep V front, bell shaped sleeves and a loose fitting body that was not entirely shapeless but not tight fitting either. These days I don't imagine French girls wearing kaftans very often. When I think of the kaftan, I think of colour and pattern and loose and flowing and flimsy and most of all I dream of supreme comfort. French girls don't often wear patterns.  French girls wear navy, they wear navy and white stripes, they wear black, they wear grey, they wear creme and they wear red. French girls go tight and they go structured. French girls go classic with a twist and French girls go sexy. Kaftans for all their ease are not number one for sexy.

I want to dress like a French girl. I want to do classic with a twist and I most definitely like a hint of the sexy but also I do love a crazy kaftan. It is my cover up of choice. It's the dress to wear when you don't want to be dressed up. For those of us who don't sport patterns and prints it's our time to be awash with the busy. For those of us who live for the neutral and the black; the kaftan is our celebration of the colour spectrum.
We can't dress like French girls all the time.....xv

image - me

No comments:

Post a Comment