Monday, March 29, 2010

Westweek Part 2

This is Westweek continued…The Editor at Large panel on Design Revolution was also very informative. I got a chance to meet and talk to Ronda Carman editor of Allthebestblog.com. She is one of the bloggers who inspired me to start Shoebox Décor. Ronda was very lively and amply willing to discuses the direction blogs are going in. We both feel they will never replace shelter magazines such as Elle Décor but we do believe the content we post helps to give the magazines a boost. Considering her hectic travel schedule, Ronda was very inviting and personable which is how I thought she would be from reading her blog.

While waiting for the keynote to start I had the opportunity to reconnect with fellow Upward Bound House interior designer Vanessa de Vargas. I was amazed that even though she has a laundry list of projects, she still finds time to blog. The rest of the Editor at Large panel included interior designer Brad Ford, HGTV executive Jillian St. Charles, editor of DécorDemon.com Brian Patrick Flynn, and last but not least founder of 1stDibs.com Michael Bruno. The thing I took away from the panel discussion is that they don’t make money from their blogs but they do make money because of their blogs. So if you’re looking to start a blog to supplement your income it may not be the best idea. Lucky for me Shoebox Décor is a passion and I don’t have to worry about it feeding my piggy bank.

My last tidbit of Westweek information is for all you HGTV lovers. Jillian St Charles informed me that they don’t have any small space shows planned for the near future but they do have a lot of small space content that will be add to their web site, so stay tune for that…Happy Blogging Everyone!

Ronda, Brad, Vanessa
Michael, Jillian, Brian
Eddie Ross, Jathian Kochar and Me at Elle Decor keynote

No comments:

Post a Comment