Friday, March 26, 2010

Westweek Part 1

Westweek was lots of fun and very informative. I had the great pleasure of meeting Margaret Russell, editor in chief of Elle Décor. The keynote panel she moderated on “Giving Design a Voice in the Digital Age: Navigating the New Media Landscape” opened my eyes to the part blogs and new age forums play in the design world. The panel included 1stdibs founder Michael Bruno, Blogger Patricia Shackelford (AKA Mrs. Blandings), Los Angeles Times Magazine Design & Culture Editor Mayer Rus and last but not least famous interior designer Vicente Wolf. All had varying inputs on where the digital age is leading the design industry and the impacted it is having on shelter magazines. As a blogger the key information I took from this panel was giving credit where credit is due. Magazines, designers, and photographers have spent lots of time and money creating such beautiful images for us to enjoy, it is up to us bloggers to give them the credit that is due. A simple link back to the original source is all that is asked. I think I do a good job of giving credit, but if I every slip and not give credit or a link back for the images I use, feel free to call me on it.

I also had a brisk conversation with Vicente Wolf after the keynote as we made our way to the reception. We talked about the “Ask Vicente” section of his blog. Yes ladies and gentlemen that really is Vicente answering your design questions. From “I have a large living room and only one couch, what should I do” to “What color should I paint my walls” Vicente will answer all. FYI, he’s a very funny guy who doesn’t take himself too seriously and prefers to draft by hand instead of using a computer.

Part 2 coming soon….Happy Reading!

Margaret Russell book signing at William Sonoma Home EventThe Panel

No comments:

Post a Comment