Friday, October 10, 2008

Paris....


For the last few days I have been working in the gorgeous City of Light, actually she decided to rain for most of my visit - but who cares about rain when you are in Paris. I cannot believe this beautiful and enchanting city is only two and a half hours by train (actually not even that) from Avignon and much the same time distance from London. I still pinch myself most days when I think about all the amazing things to do and see on my European doorstep. 

Somehow getting up at the crack of dawn matters less when you are driving to the station en route for Paris - I don't ever remember being so excited about early morning starts before. I arrived in Paris to grey and heavy skies but as I said, it didn't matter in the least, and was met at the station by my dear friend Carla, my partner on a future book project for Penguin. She lives on the Right bank in the 4th arrondissement, a quartier known as the Marais, rich in history and culture with a multitude of cafes, bars, boutiques and museums. 




The streets of the Marais

To take a break from our long hours at her computer we wandered the streets, ate a baguette or two and caught up on our girl chat as we soaked in the scene. The beauty, the incredible elegance and the glamour of this city never ever ceases to enthrall me. 


Place des Voges

I love the contrasts that define the Parisian streetscape. Wandering along slightly shabby-chic streets in one moment to find only minutes later, after turning a corner, a building that almost breaks your heart with it's architectural perfection.


More Marais

The French are masterful when it comes to eclectic pairings, and nowhere is it more evident than in the parks and gardens of Paris. The Parisians love outdoor sculpture - the bigger, the bolder and the wackier the better. The Palais Royal, one of my 'can't resist' destinations, has the fantastic Daniel Buren candy striped instillation, although for some reason it was boarded up on Wednesday. Around the circumference was a solid scaffolding but every few metres, at varying heights, a peep hole of red perspex had been inserted - for peeping! 

I think the French have a wonderful attitude to art - they view the appreciation of and the access to art as a necessary staple in their cultural diet, and something that should be available to every person. In October, for one night, Paris celebrates 'Nuits Blanches' which is an annual all night festival where museums open their doors to the public for free. 

The Palais Royale

Further inside the Palais Royale we passed the 'silver fountain' and walked amongst the pleached limes where an exhibition of 'iron warriors' had been installed. The colour of the turning autumn leaves and the 'rust' markings on the sculptures seemed to me to be in perfect harmony. Carla and I stopped and sat on the little green garden chairs placed around the basin-style fountain at the further most end of the Palais Royale, stretched out our legs in 'Parisian' fashion and sighed in agreement at what we felt to be the perfect rest stop.

'Iron warriors'


Happy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment