Friday, February 19, 2010

These are not the boots I want...

Boots yes - the stomp, stomp variety no. Flat, buckled, mid calf...that is sounding promising...dark grey to black tone...I am up for these. There is only one problem - I am talking about ski boots.....aagh. I needed a pair (not quite as much as I 'need' a different kind of buckled, mid calf, grey/black toned biker style boot) because I am very soon to throw this nervous body of mine down some snow covered and hopefully not too steep slopes. I have always been a tentative skier; I manage to execute the turns, arrive at the bottom in one piece (all except the 'one broken shoulder' time) but there is no dare devil or thrill seeker about me on the slopes. 


The performance of getting ready to ski is exhausting. Arranging the holiday requires an MBA in organisation. Packing the bags means the right gear for every weather condition (sunshine days or blizzard blasts) and carrying the luggage (every extra and costly kilo of it) means Popeye the Sailor man muscles. Then there is the hiring of the skis and the fitting of the boots, the organising of the ski passes and the lunch reservations. It is busy on those slopes and the best thing about European skiing is the lunch....the ski in and slide out very long type. 


I am reluctant, read nervous, maybe even slightly agitated because I have not clicked those buckled boots into bindings for ten years. I have not felt the swoosh of the powder or the crunch of the snow for a decade, but I will and soon... as soon as next month. I have the super-duper-shiny-new-supposed-to-be-sublimely-comfortable-heated (yes heated)-heavy-as-nothing-else-can-be ski boots. It's done, I am committed...I was measured, scanned, fitted and filled with silicon (not at all where it could be of benefit) and I said yes; those babies are mine. 


For the next few weeks I will be clomping around at home in my shiny new boots; they are going to become my very best friends. When I am on the snow I will, with the flick of a well rehearsed wrist, be buckled up and ready, steady go. No asking or should I say pleading with Mr FF to buckle my boots, (I need to work the charm so he will carry my skis) no complaining that they hurt, no begging to go inside after one run because my toes are squealing and my calves are burning. I have the perfect boots; a performance for the sake of performance. This snow bunny wants to be race ready....


What are my chances? xv

No comments:

Post a Comment