Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Get Inspired

One Kings Lane has a get inspired feature with Barbara Barry. Here are some of her designer tips and inspiration.

01 Light – it is the most important thing. It brings energy making any space come alive. I am blessed to live and work in California where the light is magical.

02 Color – never undervalue the power of color. I tend to match different facets of the same hues the way they are matched in nature. I love subtle shades because they are soft on the eye and on the soul.

03 Form – I am thrilled by the shape of things, from an egg, to a spoon, to a teacup. For me it is all about the artful composition– lovely arrangement and groupings of various forms.

04 Nature – it is my biggest inspiration. I find it mesmerizing and elegant. My garden is where I start each morning, and what I'm fortunate enough to see out my window.

05 Process – Whatever I'm working on starts with a composition of materials and objects on a tray. I also regularly tack up images, sketches, and photos that intrigue me. I'm inspired by how it flows together and allows me to see their interconnectedness.

No comments:

Post a Comment