Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Big Blue...



Some time back during the summer I had driven to the nearby village of Maussane for Thursday's morning market. Lunch bought and browsing over with, I wandered to my favourite cafe in the town square and ordered my regular drop. As my eyes whizzed around the tables I could not help but rest my gaze on one particular gentleman. He was dressed from top to toe in linen with small round professor-like glasses perched on his prominent nose. A creme panama hat gave him a very debonair edge; this guy was handsome in that Gallic way. It was Jean Reno, famous French fellow and celebrated film actor.

I got to thinking about his films... and my particular favourite, the haunting Le Grand Bleu. Directed by Luc Bresson, it was released in 1988 and was the first English language film produced by this famous French director. It stars Jean Reno, Jean-Marc Barr and Rosanna Arquette and tells the story of two free divers and the sporting rivalry between them. This film exists in different versions but I recommend the longer Director's cut with the original ending and musical score by Eric Serra.

Just one little thought....have your handkerchief at the ready, xv.

Le Grand Bleu poster - google images

No comments:

Post a Comment