Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Taking tea together


In the last couple of weeks I am finding my days are following a pattern. My daughter is home from university for the Easter break and together we have been working away at our computers - she is studying for her last exams as she graduates in June and I am putting the final touches on a new book. It is hard to concentrate and stay focused when there are any number of excuses to pack up and go outside - but we promised each other that we would be disciplined and motivated. For me, I find it so much easier working, especially at the computer, in the winter time - there seems to be less distraction. For her, she finds it easier to study at university where she can hide herself in the library and bury herself in books. 

It has been easy to follow our own routines as Mr FF is frequent flying and my other two darlings are off and away doing their own thing, so we have no-one to suit but ourselves. Which brings me to our little tea ritual. Every afternoon we break and drink tea together - we are trying a different leaf tea most days. 

After water, tea is the most popular drink (surprisingly not coffee) and there are four different types which make up the caffeinated teas - black tea, oolong tea, green tea and white tea. The herbals, also known as infusions or tisanes are made from a combination of fruit and herbs.


The French markets are a great place to find teas, especially the infusions. I stick to the non-caffeinated varieties in the afternoon as I am well wired after my morning's intake. Yesterday we drank a delicious blend of lemon verbena with a hint of apple and a touch of cinnamon - normally I prefer straight verbena but the addition of the apple and cinnamon gave it a slightly deeper and more intense flavour. We particularly like the fruit teas - the addition of a little sweetness to our afternoon is a real pick me up. 

We have grown accustomed to our afternoon tea breaks and I relish the quiet moments with her just chatting about nothing much at all or everything that matters. This is such a luxury as time with older children is hard to snatch. She says tea drinking is all win-win; delicious, non fattening and a perfect excuse to spend time together. I think she is spot on.

After you have boiled the kettle and are sipping on your aromatic brew please take a minute to visit Pigtown Design today and learn about April Food Day. It is just as important to work together as it is to take tea together. xv
image 'women taking tea' - google

No comments:

Post a Comment