Monday, February 21, 2011

from the same boulangerie...thought for the day...


I find it hard translating French...I understand the words but sometimes the sentiments expressed in a single phrase mean so much more than their few syllables. For instance, profite de la vie, four short words that say so much. Make the best of, enjoy, take advantage of, live life to the fullest...these are all interpretations yet profite involves so much more emotion than the English counterpart. French words, some at least, seem to me to contain passion... A French person saying profite, in this context, would feel as if life itself was dependent on this wisdom and profite would hold true meaning. Profite has no greedy connotations as the English equivalent... In this case it is a word of feeling not one of action.

As for the next phrase...Sa beauté s'exprime dans les nuances... Her beauty is expressed in all...would we say 'ways'? How do we translate nuances?...I'm lost, that does not seem rich enough or sufficiently evocative as it does in the French. I am not a linguist, nor a brilliant French speaker but I understand that these lovely sentiments outside a village boulangerie speak a multitude.....xv

my daily click HERE

image - vicki archer

No comments:

Post a Comment