Tuesday, February 24, 2009

'How to Steal a Million'


I guess you could say that I am addicted to films. 
I watch films for a variety of reasons - to relax or to learn, to glimpse the future or experience the past. Films are a way to escape the pressures of our modern world and take time for ourselves. Some prefer to climb mountains, ride rapids, chase golf balls or play cards - me, I watch movies.

I cannot watch too many films and I am always content to be transported away to an unfamiliar world. To be swept up in someone else's tale for hours is my idea of bliss. I have no particular preference when it comes to films and like most females my moods dictate the films I choose to watch. I will watch French films for the language practice and the sense of drama, Spanish films for the direction, British films for their formality and oftentimes dry sense of humour, Australian films because they make me feel closer to home and American films because - who doesn't love the Hollywood factor.

I have seen most of this year's Acadamy nominees and winners and even though I enjoyed the majority of them it was a pretty heavy going list. The Reader, Revolutionary Road, Rachel's Getting Married and Doubt pulled hard at the emotions and were an exhausting few hours spent. Slumdog Millionaire, even with it's uplifting finale, still managed to put me through my paces. Which is why last weekend I indulged myself with an easy, oh so easy on the eyes movie - How to Steal a Million - with Audrey Hepburn and Peter O' Toole.

This movie directed by William Wyler in 1966 is a treat for any Francophile. Audrey Hepburn who plays Nicole Bonnet sets out to steal a sculpture, the Cellini Venus, from a Parisian museum with the help of society burglar Simon Dermott played by Peter O' Toole. 


How To steal a Million was one of the last films William Wyler made and the second that he made with Audrey Hepburn; the first was Roman Holiday. It is also the first film to be release in Panavision.  


This movie is a visual extravaganza when it comes to 60's fashion.
Who else could wear this mod hat with such chic?


These white sunglasses?


or pack a pistol in their nightdress?


only Audrey Hepburn. And what about this lace disguise? 


The movie is worth watching for the sets alone:

The balustrade of this sweeping staircase wrapped in purple velvet,

with carpet to match

 the dressing table and bedroom.
And what about the car? 

This movie is a fabulous all round feel good film - feast your eyes on Paris and the gorgeous Audrey Hepburn; together they cannot help but charm you. xv

images  - google and picked pic blogspot

No comments:

Post a Comment