Sunday, August 21, 2011

DIY Chalkboard Paint

About a month ago I found a recipe from Martha Stewart on how to make your very own chalkboard paint. I gave it a try and found it very useful. The instructions are simple enough. The only thing I found was that It was very hard to stir the paint after adding the unsanded tile grout so I suggest using a mixer on the end of your drill to get the paint as smooth as possible. I used a quart of "forget me not" valspar paint on one wall in my apartment and it turned out pretty well. Let me know if you give it a try or if you have any questions...Happy Crafting Everyone!


Custom Colors How-To Chalkboard Paint

Start with flat-finish latex paint in any shade. For small areas, such as a door panel, mix 1 cup at a time.1. Pour 1 cup of paint into a container. Add 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout. Mix with a paint stirrer, carefully breaking up clumps.

2. Apply paint with a roller or a sponge paintbrush to a primed or painted surface. Work in small sections, going over the same spot several times to ensure full, even coverage. Let dry.

3. Smooth area with 150-grit sandpaper, and wipe off dust.

4. To condition: Rub the side of a piece of chalk over entire surface. Wipe away residue with a barely damp sponge.

No comments:

Post a Comment