Monday, September 13, 2010

paris....chez l'ami louis


This restaurant is famous, it is almost a Parisian institution I believe. Last Friday night was my first visit and I loved it. It could have been because I was pretty excited to be in Paris - that clouds my judgement every time - but I don't think so. Chez L'Ami Louis has all the ingredients I look for when I want to eat out somewhere special. When I am in Paris, I want to feel as if I am in Paris....

Chez L'Ami Louis is a small restaurant with a big tradition dating back to 1924. The interiors are pretty much original and the menu the same. The menu is meaty..there are no other words for it...and if light and leafy is your preference then this is not the place to try. The girls, Carla and Sande, shared the infamous roast chicken (I had a taste and thought it sublime) as I munched my way through a mouth watering veal cutlet. One of the best things about Chez L'Ami Louis...and I shouldn't admit to this.....were the pommes frites. These french fries were to die for....fine, crunchy, flavoursome and totally addictive. One fry was not enough.....we consumed each calorific laden potato straw with gusto.

The wine list is extensive, the restaurant is renowned for its excellent cave. Reading this bible like tome would be a pleasure for some  -  I was out of my depth before I had read mid way through the first page. Fortunately my ability to enjoy a glass of wine is far greater than my knowledge of fine wines. We three shared a delightful drop...so much so that I can't tell you much else about the desert....other than that it was chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. 

There are a couple of details to know about Chez L'Ami Louis.  It is pricey - some would say too pricey for the style of fare. It is true, but there is not much in Paris that isn't expensive and when you can pay up to 10 euros for a coke in a smart hotel then it is all relative. The other quirk to this adorable place is actually getting a table. The powers that be at Chez L'Ami Louis are not always that keen to answer the telephone so to make a reservation requires perseverance. Secondly, bookings are only taken two weeks in advance at any time. I marked my diary to the day fourteen days ahead and called just before what I imagined was the lunch time rush. Eventually they picked up the phone.

I thought our dinner at Chez L'Ami Louis was altogether memorable - delicious food, accompanied by fine wines and some of the best company I know. Add in a good dose of old Paris, and an evening doesn't get much better than that..... xv

Chez L'Ami Louis
32, rue du Vertbois
75003 Paris
+33 1 48 87 77 48

image - vicki archer

No comments:

Post a Comment