Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Provence via Rome...


I took a little detour this past weekend to Rome. As my eldest DD is still working in Milan we arranged to meet in the Eternal City. I would have been happy to meet her anywhere, as the missing magnifies the longer she is away, but Rome it was. Rome is magnificent, there is no other word. La Dolce Vita is alive and kicking in the cobblestone streets of this glorious city. The truth was that locals and visitors were out in force enjoying 'the good life'. Maybe it was because perfect weather has finally blessed Europe with its presence or perhaps it is because May is the start of the tourist season and an influx of millions of people is normal. I don't know, but it was crowded. We felt like we were on the page of Where's Wally except no amount of looking would have found us.


the trevi fountain in all her glory....

DD and I have both been to Rome before so we were happy enough to search out the quieter streets and enjoy a long lunch rather than queue for hours to see Rome's famous hot spots, but despite the multitudes we couldn't resist the Trevi Fountain and a walk around the Colosseum. I think this is because I have seen the films, Roman Holiday and Three Coins in a Fountain so many times. Those films are as old as old but I love them despite that and I adore the stories and the visuals.  They appeal to the romantic in me and as a girl I remember watching these movies and thinking ...one day, it will be me in Rome. I imagined myself riding on the back of a Vespa with a Gregory Peck modern day look alike or being wooed by a Rosanna Brazzi style hunk......So, I guess I left my run a little late....but Rome is still Rome, even without the Vespa.


the trevi fountain as she really was last weekend.... DD is tossing her euros away in the hope of all things wonderful but as you can see...impossible to find her even for her mother.  

Rome, like Paris, is a walking city and is a city overflowing with architectural and archeological wonder. Like Paris, Rome is a city to visit over and over....but in the winter months when her splendour is not hidden and her charms can be truly appreciated. xv

images  - me

No comments:

Post a Comment